Why You Should Start A Blog TodayMar 12, 2018
photography: Megan Weaver
Why you should start a blog today, you ask?
Especially when there are new blogs launching as we speak?!
Great question, let’s get started. 🙂
Many people ask how and why I blog.
I respond with a vague, shortened version so that I don’t bore them to death.
Then they say something like,
“I want to start a blog, so do I just buy a website?
How do I get started?
I don’t know how to code…”
Let me begin by saying I’m not a huge blogger. I have a very loyal group of readers that I love, but I’m not enslaved to this industry.
I don’t blog for the purpose of making money. I blog for my readers. You are the motivating force. Your feedback is invaluable. Your time is precious and the fact that you choose my space of the Internet means something.
Uplifting you with positive messages and spiritual truths is what God has called me to do (for this season of my life anyway).
I decided early on that I wouldn’t fall prey to the typical lifestyle of an entrepreneur (sacrificing sleep, health and friendships to “make it”)….that’s just not me.
I am first and foremost a wife and mother. I take that calling very seriously.
Then I’m a designer.
I also do all of my husband’s scheduling, client consultations, and booking for his counseling practice. Random, but it helps him out tremendously.
But I absolutely LOVE blogging and I LOVE when people ask me about blogging or marketing in general.
Life is all about loving and helping one another out, and this just happens to be an area where I have professional experience.
I studied digital media in college, I have owned my own social media marketing business, and I have worked as a marketing manager for an IT company prior to launching my own blog.
This picture below was from the day I left my safe corporate salary for the unknown! If I can do it…so can you (haha)!
So – if you want to start a blog – you’re in the right place.
Before we talk technicalities though, let’s do some introspection.
Why do you want to start a blog?
Take a second and right down three reasons. Be authentic.
- I’m burnt out from my current job and want to pursue my passion.
- I don’t know what to do. I’m in an industry career shift.
- I want a flexible schedule and the ability to stay at home with my kids.
Why should you start a blog:
The good news?
Whatever you wrote down is perfect! A blog can be whatever you want it to be!
- Your blog could be a place for in-depth discussion around your favorite band or cooking show.
- A way to attract a potential client or customer.
- A way to give back to your community or world.
- A diary or a way to track your biggest milestones.
- The safe place to express political viewpoints or hot topics.
- A platform to inspire others and create change.
- Your blog could look editorial or casual.
- It could be a full-time career.
- Or a resume builder. You could use your blog as a place to record previous work as a portfolio.
- A way to market your small business.
- A creative outlet or hobby.
- Or a way to make supplemental income for your family.
- It could be a way to build community and online friends with the same interests as you.
- Or it could be your big break.
Shop my bloggers t-shirt:
A blog can be an easy way to get your ideas out into the world, because you have a fresh voice that needs to be heard.
A blog offers readers something a magazine or newspaper can’t…..ongoing free content.
You guys know that anytime you want to tap into my blog, you can. You don’t have to wait until it’s published or shipped to you.
If you want a mental pick-me-up, you can navigate to my Mental Health tab and read to your hearts’ content.
So why should you start a blog?
Only you can answer that my friend.
If you think you’re ready, email me with any questions, and I’d be happy to help: firstname.lastname@example.org